The Mighty Merc – Brakes!

Brakes are kind of a nice thing to have dialed in properly. After a little trial and error on The Lone Ranger  , I found a good working combination. But I’m adding a little twist to things.

The front is using the standard twin piston D60 calipers, the rear is using the typical GM ’77 K20 (single piston) disc brake setup. I found that using a ’99 Master Cylinder from a Dodge 2500 (Gas 1-1/4” Bore) gave me the perfect pedal feel and travel in the truck, so I am hoping for the same feel in the Mercury, even though the booster is a little different.

While the MC bolts right up to the stock booster, you need to modify the adjuster screw. So you take a stock one:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

And cut it down a tad:
Sara L.: Driveline &emdash;

Once that was sorted, I grabbed a roll of Nickel-Copper brake line and went to town plumbing things up. This stuff is awesome to work with, and I’ll only use steal again under duress:
Sara L.: Driveline &emdash;

One of the things I wanted to add was a parking brake of some sort. I have read of a few folks using the Jegs mechanical locks with good success (Part Number 63028) so I figured I would give a try. Made a quick bracket:
Sara L.: Driveline &emdash;

And installed it in an easy to get to location:
Sara L.: Driveline &emdash;

Once that was done, I finished running my lines. Now I just need to bleed everything and get the rest of the drive line sorted to see if this setup works as well as it did in the Ranger. I suspect that it will:
Sara L.: Driveline &emdash;

Leave a Reply