When we purchased this house several years ago, there was zero landscaping done to it. Over the years we expanded things greatly, but had come to the realization that the front needed a little something “more”. So we picked up some rocks from the farm for a border and got to work with the Supervisor Dog watching over us:
With the border down, and the weed barrier in place:
I stated hauling rock with the Ranger:
All done! Just need to wait awhile before we plant some things in it to give the lawn fertilizer time to deplete:
This turned into one of our biggest home improvement projects to date. The carpet in the house was original and had seen better days in most of the rooms. The kitchen had been refreshed at some point in time which included new white tile with white grout. Needless to say, that never stayed looking clean for longer than a day!
So after taking the Ranger on a couple of trips to our local lumber liquidators, we acquired quite a few boxes of new flooring:
And then we started the very, very nasty job of braking out the tile. This process SUCKED! Instead of making it easy to remove by laying the tile on masonry board, the whole floor was laid with self leveling compound that had to be chiseled out bit by bit. Even using a rotary hammer, it still took forever and made a dusty mess that took months to clean up!
And still going:
After getting the kitchen tore up, we started ripping up the carpet:
And started the long process of laying flooring:
Eventually working our way deeper into the house:
In the end, it was a well worthwhile project as it really freshened up the look of the house. The other added bonus was that there is a significantly less dust now since the carpet has been removed. After living with the laminate for a few years now, the floor has held up very well, with the only complaint being that it is a touch too shiny.
After years of constantly juggling with the limited space in the garage, it was well past time to give ourselves a little breathing room. Sadly, since we are in a subdivision in the city limits, there is only so much we can do for out buildings. No 40’x40’ pole barns, but an 8’x12’ shed falls just under the square footage amount required for building permits in our berg.
We caught a sale at Lowes for one of their DIY shed kits. Actually getting the shed turned out to be an ordeal (Lowes inventory system left a little something to be desired). In the end, we got the shed loaded up into the F-250 and dropped it off in the garage:
I had previously prepped the building site by digging down 6” and refilling it with compacted rock. This gave us a good solid base that will drain well and keep the shed from settling over time. One weekend my brother and father came over and we hammered the thing together. The back yard looked like a bit of a shed explosion:
While the shed kit provided enough material for a basic shed, we wanted to make sure it would hold up for several years. Lots of additional lumber went into the floor faming and walls to make everything 16” centers. Putting the subfloor together in the driveway:
Dragging it to the back yard:
Putting it in place on the piers:
Started slapping the walls up:
Painted and done:
Originally, the wife and I had planned on knocking this little project out ourselves. I’m glad we didn’t and instead waited until we had additional hands as it made things go together much quicker and better. So while you could put one of these kits together with a couple of people, more folks make it much easier.