Small Planters

We picked up a unused planter stand from my mother. After letting it sit unused on the side of the house for a long time, I finally got around to building some planter boxes for it. So off to Home Depot for some cheap wood:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Hack and whack some:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

And they started to take shape:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

x3:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

And ready for use:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

We had hopped to get some strawberries growing in these, but we’ve had dismal luck with it. So now they’re just decoration at this point.

Front Yard Flower Bed

When we purchased this house several years ago, there was zero landscaping done to it. Over the years we expanded things greatly, but had come to the realization that the front needed a little something “more”. So we picked up some rocks from the farm for a border and got to work with the Supervisor Dog watching over us:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

With the border down, and the weed barrier in place:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

I stated hauling rock with the Ranger:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

All done! Just need to wait awhile before we plant some things in it to give the lawn fertilizer time to deplete:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

New Floors!

This turned into one of our biggest home improvement projects to date. The carpet in the house was original and had seen better days in most of the rooms. The kitchen had been refreshed at some point in time which included new white tile with white grout. Needless to say, that never stayed looking clean for longer than a day!

So after taking the Ranger on a couple of trips to our local lumber liquidators, we acquired quite a few boxes of new flooring:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

And then we started the very, very nasty job of braking out the tile. This process SUCKED! Instead of making it easy to remove by laying the tile on masonry board, the whole floor was laid with self leveling compound that had to be chiseled out bit by bit. Even using a rotary hammer, it still took forever and made a dusty mess that took months to clean up!
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

And still going:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

After getting the kitchen tore up, we started ripping up the carpet:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

And started the long process of laying flooring:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Rocking along:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Eventually working our way deeper into the house:
Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

Sara L.: Emerald Green House &emdash;

In the end, it was a well worthwhile project as it really freshened up the look of the house. The other added bonus was that there is a significantly less dust now since the carpet has been removed. After living with the laminate for a few years now, the floor has held up very well, with the only complaint being that it is a touch too shiny.