The Lone Ranger – 60/14 Bolt swap – 14 Bolt Swap

I’ve been complaining about the limited slip long enough, now its time to do something about it! When looking at options to lock up the Dana 60u I had under the truck, there wasn’t anything cheap out there (besides welding it, and I don’t really want a spool). It came down to either drop a grand an go 35 spine in the rear, or drop a grand and go 30 spline. Obviously 35 spline would have been the way to do it right, but that’s expensive!

So I went the cheaper route and grabbed a pig to stick in the rear, 4:10 open SRW out of a 1987 suburban:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Thankfully everything looked awesome in here which was a nice change of pace from the other rear axles I’ve bought in the past.

Now that I had the axle in hand, I dumped some money over at Ruff stuff and Complete offroad:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

I went with the Yukon locker hoping it would live a little longer than the Detroit, not that I think I’ll be popping axles on a regular enough basis that I think it’ll be a problem. The locker install is stupid easy, and the ‘adjusting collars’ in the 14 bolt is slick too!
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

I then moved on to getting rid of those drums, which turned out to be quite nice inside (new shoes, and hardware in there). I did the typical 14 bolt disc brake swap using parts from a ’77 Chevy K20 for the rotors, pads, calipers, and brake lines. The brackets themselves are from Ruff Stuff. It’s a pretty straight forward process, you take these:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Place them on the floor and beat the studs out:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Clean up the mating areas, slap the studs back in with your new rotor, mount everything up correctly and you’ll get something that looks like this:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

I opted for a bit of armor when doing this swap, and picked up Ruff Stuffs diff cover (which I added a drain plug guard):
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

I also added a pinion guard, which rounded out the package:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Then out comes the D60u:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

And in goes the 14 bolt:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Yeah, I lost some ground clearance there, but I’m sure it’ll self-clearance just fine over time.

I did drive it around some tonight and it feels a bit different. I’ve run spools in the rear of my other vehicles so this was different having a locker back there. Being able to adjust how much you turn (on long swooping turns) by throttle application is different, and it make you pay attention a bit more as well. I’m sure that the rear tires being a little different in diameter isn’t helping things out at all. It’s worth it to have the rear locked up.

As it sits right now, I need to extend my drive shaft some, and possibly grind on that lip some to give me a little more ground clearance. Otherwise, its time to wheel!

The Lone Ranger – 60/14 Bolt swap – Rear Bump Stops

The rear bumps are using the same style of bump stop that I have in the front. These came from the rear of Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport’s.

I lopped off some ¼” Plate:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Burned it together:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

As they sit, they’re about 5.5″ above the spring plate at ride height:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

The Lone Ranger – 60/14 Bolt swap – Moving the shocks out

In the quest for better road manners, I went ahead and moved the rear shocks out as much as I could. The end result is a more stable ride, that didn’t limit the rear flex that much (who needs flex when you’ve got lockers anyway ). Unfortunately, it still didn’t cure my wheel vibe, but it did help calm it down quite a bit.

I went from my original setup:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

To something like this:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

But that wound up limiting my travel too much, so I laid the shock over a bit more and ran it like this:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

This meant I only lost about 1” of travel in the rear compared to the way it was setup before:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Compressed:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

Extended:
Sara L.: Build and Misc &emdash;

I’m pretty happy with how this turned out as it greatly improved the road manners of the truck. I wound up running limit straps in the original shock mounting location and that worked out sweet.