In my XJ, I had actually spend some time making a ‘contoured’ transfer case/tranny skid. That resulted in decent ground clearance, but also meant that I always wound up high centered on one of the nooks of the skid.
So this time, I gave up some clearance in order to have a flat belly. The net result is that I only lost about ¾” and I now have a stupidly stout (and heavy) skid. This thing pretty much threw weight savings out of the window.
It’s a little hard to tell but there are two cross members, the rear most one, and the transmission cross member. These carry the brunt of the load. I’ve also got a tie in to the front “K” member, as well as the spring bolt on the passenger side
This thing was retarded heavy, but held up very well over the years of abuse.