Browsed by
Tag: Front SAS

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – HP Dana 60 Swap

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – HP Dana 60 Swap

I’d said more than once that I would rock the 44 until it gave me too many problems. After replacing ball joints, and killing the high steer, I’d finally had enough. So in came the ‘78 Dana 60:

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – “K” Member Trimming

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – “K” Member Trimming

As with most SAS’s, the K member needed to be trimmed up some to make room for the high steer linkage as well as some clearance for the pumpkin under full compression. Since I’m running full width axles, I don’t think I’ll have to get too crazy with the trimming. While I had the axle out of the way, I figured I’d take a whack at it to get started on it as it was easily accessible. I won’t know…

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Track Bar:

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Track Bar:

After fighting doing what I could to solve my death sway issue with the rear (Added rear leafs, played with the shocks, etc) I turned my attention to the front end. Now I knew my front shackle setup was causing some of my vague steering that I was experiencing, I didn’t realize how bad it actually was until I added this track bar. Adding this track bar solved my death sway issue. Onto the photos! During lunch I borrowed some…

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Front Shock Mounts

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Front Shock Mounts

Using some 2” x 2” x ¼” wall tube, I made up some quick axle shock mounts: (hmm… looks like those photos were ate by the internet, just us your imagination).. I then used some 3” channel to make the frame side shock mounts: After those were burned together, I slapped them on the truck. I’ll probably wind up adding a gusset or two to the frame side, but I’ll hold off until I get a chance to flex it…

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Shackles and Cross Member

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Shackles and Cross Member

The front shackles wound up being a bit overkill. I used 1.5 x ½” thick material to make them. The holes are at 5” center to center, and I milled out 1/8” per side to get the correct offset (Waggy bushing measures 2.75” and the YJ bushing measures right at 3”). There was some .120” 1 ¼” Tube laying around that I made the middle spacer out of. Parts: Welded up: With the shackles done, I slapped a piece of…

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Final Leaf mount Burn In:

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Final Leaf mount Burn In:

Well I passed two milestones tonight, the leaf mounts are fully burned on. And I somehow managed to lay some decent beads upside down Locating the mounts was a bit of a pain since I’d moved (or removed) just about every item that I could use as a good reference point on the frame. So it took a few tries to get it right. So if anyone is looking for numbers in the future, here’s what I wound up with……

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Plating the Crumple Zone

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Plating the Crumple Zone

This is one area I wanted to document as best that I could as there seems to be varying opinions on how much to plate over this area. I’m of the belief that the more the merrier since you’re turning an area that wasn’t designed to be a load bearing area into a load bearing area. That said, even with the crumple zone as it is, that area will take a fair amount of abuse before it crumples. What is…

Read More Read More

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Test Fitting the 44 (figuring shackle length):

The Lone Ranger – Front SAS – Test Fitting the 44 (figuring shackle length):

After doing some quick plating of the front crumple zone (I’ll do a separate post on that when I get done plating, as well as final mounting locations for the front leaf mounts) I did a few test fits of the 44. What can I say, I’m kind excited at this point so I’m jumping ahead a bit Since I didn’t really have any reference points to measure off of to being with (cab is loose from the body, and…

Read More Read More