Oh Canada! 2013 Trip – Tuesday’s Gone Again
Not much happened on this day as it was just a travel day for us. Since Highway 1 was still closed due to washed out bridges, our 1.5 hour trip back to Calgary turned into a 5.5 hour round about trip back across unknown roads to get us to the airport. We managed to make there with plenty of time to spare, where we dropped of our very dirty adventure mobile for this trip. The mighty Toyota Camry who’s only redeeming feature was that it netted 38 mpg getting the balls driven off of it (zero power):
We arrived home in once piece, though very, very tired. We did learn a few things though
– Canada is flipping expensive. We expected this, but there was still some serious sticker shocking going on
– Black bears like to sleep until 3 ish, Grizzly’s don’t sleep. Both of them are hungry as hell this time of year
– Tourist can’t drive. Especially the Japanese. Watch out for those guys.
– It starts to get light around 4:45 in the morning, and doesn’t get dark dark until a little after 11 at night.
– There are very few roads out there, so it’s kind of a big deal when one gets closed
– In this area, there is zero off-road activities to be had. I don’t know why that is, but it surprised me to find everything paved, and no OHV access.
– There is a definite difference between Canadians, and the French Canadians. You’ll be able to figure it out quickly
– As a whole, folks are very nice and courteous up there.
If there’s questions on something, feel free to ask!
Link to all the photos (hit the slideshow button in the top right) (680 photos):
Link to the wife’s “Pretty Pictures” (again, hit the sildeshow button in the top right) (250 and counting photos):