Hiking Victoria Glades Conservation Area
Victoria Glades Conservation Area is one hike we kept meaning to check out for several years, but often passed by in favor of more rugged trails. I’m so glad we finally took the time to hike this lightly traveled path.
Victoria Glades is located near one of our favorite area hikes, Valley View Glades. Similar to Valley View, Victoria Glades Conservation Area contains open glade vistas, a scenic forest, and wet weather streams. The view is especially dramatic at sunrise due to the east facing glade views.
Victoria Glades Hiking Trail
- Distance: 2.2 mile loop
- Difficulty: 3/5 Several moderate hills up and down and small creek crossings.
- Scenic Value: 3/5 Open glade vistas with spring and summer wildflowers.
Finding the trailhead is a little confusing. The conservation area sign and parking area is actually on the opposite side of the road. There is room for about 7-10 cars here and no other facilities.
Carefully cross the cross from the parking area to start the trail and immediately start a moderate uphill climb.
Soon you will reach the loop portion of the trail. If you wish to hike into the woods first, turn right. We opted to go left to hike across the glade first. Going left would a good option in summer to hike the open part first and the shaded portion last.
The path crosses across the open glade with wonderful views of the valley and hills to the east.
The path can be muddy in spots and some sections are rocky, but overall it’s not difficult.
The trail curves across the glade before descending into the forest and crossing a small creek.
From the creek, the trail bounces up and down several hills and through the woods before reaching another open glade running parallel to the trail.
Admire the view of the glade off to your left and continue to follow the trail through the woods.
The path crosses a couple more small creeks before climbing uphill and returning to the start of the loop.
Carefully cross the road again to return to the parking area.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Conservation Area is open daily 4:00 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- A map can be found here.
- The google location is a little off from the trailhead. Use 11530 Hillsboro-Victoria Road DeSoto, Missouri to reach the parking area.
- No restrooms or other amenities.
- Other nearby areas to explore include Valley View Glades, Kress Farm Preserve, and Sandy Creek Covered Bridge.
- Be sure to pack out what you bring in and leave no trace.